To put the best face on a listing and appeal to buyers who follow feng shui
principles, keep these tips in mind.
1. Pay special attention to the front door, which is considered the “mouth of chi”
(chi is the “life force” of all things) and one of the most powerful aspects of the
entire property. Abundance, blessings, opportunities, and good fortune enter
through the front door. It’s also the first impression buyers have of how well the
sellers have taken care of the rest of the property. Make sure the area around
the front door is swept clean, free of cobwebs and clutter. Make sure all lighting
is straight and properly hung. Better yet, light the path leading up to the front
door to create an inviting atmosphere.
2. Chi energy can be flushed away wherever there are drains in the home. To
keep the good forces of a home in, always keep the toilet seats down and
close the doors to bathrooms.
3. The master bed should be in a place of honor, power, and protection, which
is farthest from and facing toward the entryway of the room. It’s even better if
you can place the bed diagonally in the farthest corner. Paint the room in colors
that promote serenity, relaxation, and romance, such as soft tones of green,
blue, and lavender.
4. The dining room symbolizes the energy and power of family togetherness.
Make sure the table is clear and uncluttered during showings. Use an attractive
tablecloth to enhance the look of the table while also softening sharp corners.
5. The windows are considered to be the eyes of the home. Getting the
windows professionally cleaned will make the home sparkle and ensure that
the view will be optimally displayed.
Source: Sell Your Home Faster With Feng Shui by Holly Ziegler (Dragon Chi
Reprinted from REALTOR® magazine with permission of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®.
Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.